Sunday, April 12, 2020

Tradition!!!!

Last Resurrection Day and weekend, we had so much going on. LTC (Leadership Training for Christ), my parents were in town, I was leading worship at our church. I figured with my kids almost 13 and 16 at the time; they were no longer interested in our traditional resurrection morning breakfast, so I made a breakfast casserole instead. BIG MOM FAIL. I was in so much trouble with my kids for not continuing a tradition I started with them when they were both super young. You see, we would make Resurrection Rolls every Easter morning. Each ingredient represents a part of the resurrection story. We talk about each ingredient as we make the rolls.  

When my children protested last year, I was reminded of a similar situation that my Dad tried to break one Christmas. Each Christmas probably since I was born, he read the "Christmas Story" (Luke's account) from a book. One Christmas, when I was in college, my Dad started passing out presents without reading the Christmas Story. I immediately protested and said, "We can't open presents until you read the Christmas story to us!!" He looked a little shocked and said, "Well, OK." so he read it to us.

In both circumstances, there was a tradition that had a significant meaning. While sure, the presents are fun, the Easter Egg basket is exciting, there is a more substantial part of the picture. JESUS. Some traditions do not make sense to us and possibly need to be discontinued, while some need to continue because they remind us of what is important and how it applies to our lives as Christ-followers. My children reminded me of this last Resurrection Day. I made sure this year I had everything I needed to make resurrection rolls two weeks in advance.
Marshmallows represent Jesus
Butter is the embalming oil/spices and the cinnamon sugar is our sin He took on himself. The croissant dough is the tomb.

Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees

The tomb is open!

He is risen!

No comments:

Post a Comment