Saturday, November 6, 2010

The End of Football

Today marked the end of the WCS football season.  Alan started out with 11 guys on the team.  Through the course of the season, Alan lost 5 due to injuries.  Even though they were small in number, this team was a pretty good team with a lot of potential.  Adversity hit this team and one by one the number of guys  able to play dropped.  The guys who couldn't play still wore their jerseys and stood on the side line cheering and encouraging their team mates. 

Alan has tried to instill in these young men, to always put God first, family second, school third and to never ever give up.

Last week, Alan was down to 7 guys that were able to play.  During the first quarter, one of our guys was injured and was done for the game, and three plays later another one of our guys suffered a concussion.  Now if you are counting, we are down to 5 guys.  The remaining five guys are huddled together.  Alan goes to the head ref and the head coach of the opposing team and says he is down to five.  The other coach asks, "So what are going to do?"  Alan says "I would like to play five on five."  The coach flat out refused and he said, "This is the battle for 2nd place, how do I know your five are not going to take down my five and you beat me."  The score was 52-20 them.  Alan walks back to the guys and before he can say anything, the guys say, "We are finishing the game coach!"  Alan said "OK"  I was really proud of the those five guys.  They played and fought hard.  They never gave up.  The score ended up being 70-20. 

I know Alan lost respect for that coach that night and so did I.  This was a coach that Alan knew and seem to get along with.  It puzzles me how so called "Christian coaches" can act in such a harsh way.  I know one thing is for sure, I have even more respect for my husband in what he taught those guys and I have a lot of respect for the entire WCS football team.

So today was the playoff between Saint Paul and WCS.  We came to the game with six guys.  The guy (Austin) who suffered the concussion last week was cleared to play.  During the first quarter Austin suffered another hit and yet another concussion.  Alan went to the coach and ref and said, "I have to end this game.  I can't take anymore of my guys getting hurt." 

The game ended with the team going to the hospital to be with Austin.  Austin is fine and he even showed up to eat with the team later on at Rudy's Bar-B-Que.

Below is a picture of Andrew and Anna having a picnic at the football game.  They love going to Dad's football games and we all are going to have Friday night football withdrawals.  I suppose this is a perfect time to bring back "Dinner and a Movie" night.

No comments:

Post a Comment