Friday, July 13, 2012

Blessed Twice

Over the years I have been fortunate to work with many choir, and voices students.  Some years are not as memorable as others but there are a handful that I will never forget because they work hard to achieve very difficult goals and look outside themselves to be a team player and to help others in need. 

When I found out March 12 that I have breast cancer my world shut off and all I could think about was my family, praise team and my students at school and how this will affect them.  I really considered not telling my students at all.  Just keep it private.  My husband, and Mac, my co teacher insisted that I need to because the students were asking why I was at the doctor all the time.  So I eventually told all JH and HS students in April.  I really did not expect the reaction I got.  Tears everywhere, shocked looks, speechlessness.  I assured them that they caught it early and I will be fine.  One asked, Mrs. Weaver, why you? You are so young and you do all the right things?  All I could say is cancer does not discriminate, but I am a fighter and my faith will get me through this.

I had another surprise coming...........The High School choir and Theatre department came together and formed a bake sale.  How they raised that much money on one bake sale I will never know but it was an outstanding amount and if that were not enough, our Spring Choir concert was also accepting donations on behalf of my family. Every choir student wore pink ribbons on there formals.  One of my students read a pose over breast cancer and there was not a dry tear in the church.  Mac read a speech.......by this point I am not hearing anything he is saying except "Abigail, Alan, Andrew and Anna, just know, you are not alone." Then everyone stood up and clap.  Again, more money to help us out. 

I have always been a very private person.  There are many times that keeping your mouth shut is what you should do.  But in this case, It was the right thing to tell.  I could not do this alone.  I am very grateful to my students and I pray that IF something happens like this to them someday, they are repaid 10 times the support they gave me.


No comments:

Post a Comment